With a more diverse cast, Gossip Girl 2.0 is adhering to our current society

Hey Upper East Sidders. Gossip Girl here. Word on the street is that a reboot is happening, and it’s playing out in our modern world.   

The scandalous lives of Manhattan’s elite are coming to life once again in 2020. Co-producers Stephanie Savage and Joshua Safran are bringing 10 one-hour-long episodes to HBO Max. They are doing so in a way that acknowledges the current landscape of our times. 

Safran, the original producer of the 2007 show, explained that diversification is the first step in this initiative. 

“There was not a lot of representation the first time around on the show,” Safran said. “When I went to private school in New York in the ’90s, the school didn’t necessarily reflect what was on Gossip Girl. So, this time around the leads are nonwhite.”

While having an all white cast in 2007 was not unusual, the industry now knows better. The previously dominant white cast is being transformed to fit 21st century norms.  

In New York today 42.78 percent of the individuals are white, while the other 57.22 percent are individuals of color. It only makes sense to have a cast that represents the reality of the location. 

The original cast was also primarily straight –– except for Erik van der Woodsen. I think it’s safe to say that’s not the case in modern times. Because of this, Gossip Girl 2.0 will be altering the show’s initial representation of sexuality. 

“There’s a lot of queer content on this show,” said Safron. “It is very much dealing with the way the world looks now, where wealth and privilege come from, and how you handle that.”

The show will also take place in real time, meaning eight years have passed since the Blair and Serena empire. Viewers will get to witness a completely new generation of spoiled and over-privileged rich kids in a completely new context of drama and scandal.  

But if Gossip Girl 2.0 is jumping to current times, then their old school flip phones and desktop computers won’t be up to par. Because of this, the show will adhere to the new technological advancements we know today. Maybe this time around we will see iPhone 11s, iPads and Apple Watches. 

With all of this substantial change, it makes you wonder if anything will carry over from the original series. As far as we know, we’re hoping the dynamic duo of Leighton Meester (Blair Waldorf) and Blake Lively (Serena van der Woodsen) make a surprise cameo. Or better yet, maybe Lonely Boy (Penn Badgley) and the rest of the boy gang will make an appearance. But while things may come and go, one thing remains the same – Kristen Bell’s voice as the Gossip Girl narrator.  

Gossip Girl 2.0 is changing the landscape and bringing the real world to our screens. Now, there’s only one question left to ask: who will take Lonely Boy’s place as Gossip Girl? I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 

XOXO, Gossip Girl.